As I was working through all of my blog posts in relation to my filming I hit a brick wall, I realised that during my filming I did not take it down the path I wanted to go down and went down a different genre into more of the fantasy realm. I decided that perhaps I should look at what I want to do in a different way but still incorporate my research, planning and parts of the filming.
The idea that I was previously working on had a message behind it, it talked about the idea of floating and feeling weightless however as I went further into my filming, my main idea wasn’t working meaning that I had to quickly change the idea and not put any meaning or message behind it. The idea of the girl who hurts herself and magical things happen was an idea I could really get behind until it had to change to when the girl stops breathing she gets transported into a fairy-tale an the longer she stays the more the outside world deteriorates ( I mean yes its a good idea but its not what I wanted to do ).
So to make this into something I wanted to do I came up with a new idea called “invisible illnesses”, obviously I need to do a fair bit of research into this to get a clear idea in my head but before we all freak out it is still in the genre and still has all of my main themes and message just a different layout and name.
In todays society we talk about mental illness but really its quite a taboo subject, something that should be kept to yourself its personal. Fair enough, but having a mental illness does not define that person, but we all view that person as their mental illness. which is why I want to display this message into my film, I want to show that at the start we believe we are defined by our illness but really that’s not the case. which is where the idea of invisible illnesses comes from most of the time you cannot see someone’s mental health its invisible to the world, its not regarded on the same level as a physical illness.
just to give you a clear overview of what I’m hoping to look into here are few bullet points ( oh and I’m going to be working Brittany Forbes on this new idea ) :
- Title Card (screen black and white) – the titles “invisible illnesses” would not be here at the start it hopefully will be scattered around the screen in dust particles which start to form the then word. the title would be placed in the centre all lined up underneath each other with a white line in between the two words that eventually the title would move into leaving only a white line on a black screen, the white line would slowly dissolve
- Titles – the next shot would still have the black background but names of mental illnesses would start appear on the screen all in random spots until the whole screen is just a white background.
- Narrator – as these mental illnesses come onto the screen a mans voice would be listing al the illnesses starting of slow and getting faster and faster unto it just sounds like high pitched white noise. As all of the characters are girls, the idea that man is narrating their lives plays into gender stereotypes that all though the film is about girls its still about how a girl fits into a mans world.
Actor – Eleanor Able. Plays – “Desdemona”. Mental illness – Suicidal and depressionsuicidalThe name “Desdemona” means devil or death which seems to fit with some of the ideas of Suicide as the devil is biblically the devils doing.
The rationale behind suicide, which is defined as the intentional taking of one’s own life, can be as simple or as complex as life itself. The person who commits suicide may see his or her actions as some sort of solution to a severe physical or psychological dilemma.
we choose the name “zilla” as its means a shadow, which suits her illness as she will display feelings that there are two of her; a shadow.noun: multiple-personality disorder
a rare dissociative disorder in which two or more personalities with distinct memories and behaviour patterns apparently exist in one individual.
Actor – Brittany Pearson. Plays – “zilla”. Mental illness – Multiple personality disorder
- Actor – Brittany Forbes. Plays – “Lamia”. Metal illness – Schizophrenia
a long-term mental disorder of a type involving a breakdown in the relation between thought, emotion, and behaviour, leading to faulty perception, inappropriate actions and feelings, withdrawal from reality and personal relationships into fantasy and delusion, and a sense of mental fragmentation.
The name “Lamia” derives from a dark matter that prays on children.
- Actor – Jamie Buckley. Plays ” Shiva”. Mental illness – Obsessive compulsive disorder
Obsessive compulsive disorder
Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) is an anxiety disorder in which people have unwanted and repeated thoughts, feelings, ideas, sensations (obsessions), or behaviors that make them feel driven to do something (compulsions).Often the person carries out the behaviors to get rid of the obsessive thoughts, but this only provides temporary relief.we chose the name Shiva as it means god of destruction, as in some research that I’ve been looking into OCD can feel destructive.
- Actor – Tamsin Waterhouse. Plays – “Aurora”. Mental illness – Anorexia.
we choose the name Aurora as the girl is fascinated with story books looking like who sleeping beauty does in the book, that it completely consume her mind into getting her desired look, meaning the Aurora is a fitting name as its who she aspires to be.Anorexia – an emotional disorder characterized by an obsessive desire to lose weight by refusing to eat.
There we go…